First, let's go over a quick primer on mold. Every kind of mold is a fungus, just like mushrooms and lichens, for example. The mold that is dangerous to you and your family is relatively uncommon in the fungus kingdom, meaning most kinds you find in your house or business aren't dangerous. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold in your home or business must be mitigated and completely removed.
Because of possible toxicity, you should almost always contact a mold remediation contractor Littleton CO company if you find discover mold in your home. When you see any large amount of mold growth, though, it's a good idea to reach out for cleanup assistance from professional mold removal services. Certified technicians can help you test for hidden mold in other places around the structure using tools such as temperature sensors, moisture detectors and more.
Before you contact mold removal services, the first step is to prevent the mold from getting worse. Do this by turning off any ventilation. Next, work to halt the moisture source that supplied the mold in the first place. For instance, make sure damaged roofs are no longer getting into your ceiling and staunch the flow of any water that has seeped into your basement. The next step is to contain the mold. You might block off the area in question with plastic sheeting, for example.
Should you get a professional service to help or can you finish it on your own? Beyond pondering the size of the damage, think about any aggravating health issues you may have that make you prone to becoming sick.
Once you've selected a solution, there are vital things to do. To complete the cleanup yourself, purchase supplies such as long mold-approved gloves, coveralls and a mold-safe mask and sealed eye protection. You will also need disposable plastic sheeting and tools to cut out and replace drywall, if that's where you found the mold. Experts agree that you should never leave unpainted drywall that is moldy anywhere because it can't be cleaned well enough. A note on cleaning with bleach: Skip it. Any bleach is less effective than other alternatives and often doesn't remediate mold thoroughly and all its spores completely. Bleach-based cleaners is also toxic and can cause dangerous chemical fumes, particularly if it's ever mixed with ammonia, a common ingredient in many household cleaners . Ask for better cleaners at most big box stores.
If you're concerned enough about mold damage to research, you need a professional mold removal company. For example, don't select a company focused in humid climates.
Before you choose any expert, make sure that they are licensed and registered properly and that they are certified by groups such as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration. The State Business Licensing Division is a good place to get started, and you should check for affiliations such as as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration.
Mold left to grow sends off spores, which fly like dandelion seeds and can cause damage to spread in short order. If not, parasitic fungi will keep eating on your home or business and will destroy your things.
The safest way to solve your mold damage is to get professional mold damage assistance. Don't hesitate.